Automated warehouse handling systems.
The customer asked Automate Srl for help to intervene on laser-guided AGVs with the aim of reducing maintenance costs but without being able to act on the layout of the warehouse spaces.
The intervention was not limited to the technological adaptation of the machines but extended to the optimization of handling procedures with the aim of increasing the efficiency of flows.
While with the technological refresh we were able to significantly reduce maintenance costs by adapting the electronics and software to the technologies of the market, through the optimization of flows we were able to increase the benefits thanks to a more linear use of the devices so as to significantly reduce the criticality of the mechanical and electrical systems.
We have therefore worked on different aspects to be able to complete the project of renewal and optimization of the automated systems of the warehouse.
In particular, the intervention was based on:
- Reconfiguration of routes;
- Optimization of routes;
- • Replacement (for each AVG) of the connection control electronics (networks to which the door status signals are connected) and the interface (systems for interfacing the AGVs and the access doors to the various rooms via optical messages);
- Redesign of the IT architecture for managing the AGVs and the traffic map;
- Replacement of the navigation system with standard products;
- Mechanical modification of the forks interaxis in order to be able to handle specific Load Units (UDC);
- Development of AGV software and relative NDC navigation system.
While maintaining the same layout and the same machines, the customer has obtained an updated system from a technological point of view, easier and cheaper to maintain, but above all a handling system with high energy and mechanical efficiency able to ensure optimized operating costs.
In order to obtain quality results while respecting one's own needs, the solution is always to rely on true professionals who can give a 360° view of the interventions that can be carried out. Contact Automate now. Contatta Automate adesso.Read More
For an Italian production site of one of the most important pharmaceutical multinationals, we have dealt with the Revamping of a packaging line for product treatment (powders) in the pharmaceutical sector.
In this case we dealt with what can be defined as a Complex Revamping project due to the combination of factors ranging from the obsolescence of many field devices and the need to intervene not only on the technological update but also on the aspects of integration with MES and ERP systems.
In particular, the scenario presented the following characteristics :
- Old generation sensors and PLCs (S5 series 95U)
- Operator control panels (OP series)
- Synchronous motors managed by inverters
- Video control systems for scanning product identification labels.
The main objective was to provide line managers with more control information to ensure accurate measurement of the quantities of packaging elements discarded/not discarded during the process, the creation of automatisms including the recognition of material not in line with packaging specifications and the generation of specific performance indicators on the entire packaging process.
All this is achieved through the provision of
- Adequate supervision and control tools accessible to various organizational levels (from the line operator to the factory supervisor, to the production manager, and on some indicators also to some top roles of the company).
- Integration interfaces with MES and ERP systems able to allow the punctual and immediate alignment between the packaging line and the production needs.
What we have done
The issue was certainly not to rethink the entire line and totally replace the machines or technological equipment present, but to find the right balance that would allow in a short time to make the necessary improvements to allow a line, still able to serve the production, to operate with the performance and efficiency required by the market.
In details we have done the following :
- The redesign of the command and control panels of the entire line
- The adaptation of the PLC software and operator panels for the management of each plant of the line
- The design of the Supervision and Control platform
- The integration of the single machines in the whole line
- Software development and interfaces (HMI, SCADA-MES, PLC-SCADA)
Interventions in some cases even particularly invasive on the plants but that have allowed to enhance the best machines that still today and for a long time can guarantee performances in line with the production needs of the customer.
A particularly important aspect is the implementation phase in the field, since we had to intervene on machines and systems of production lines still in operation and therefore with very limited time windows to allow the intervention.
After the commissioning, we have dealt with the training of personnel and the preparation of the necessary documentation to ensure certifications and validations typical of the pharmaceutical sector.
The customer, thanks to this intervention, has been able to strengthen its processes thanks to a stronger integration of the entire line with the management and sales planning systems, allowing a greater control of the value chain downstream of production and especially the possibility to intervene well in advance in case of performance conditions below expectations.Read More
The Industrial Software Forum organized by Messe Frankfurt Italy and promoted by ANIE Automation has carried out an interesting study on the main software applications, enabling the evolution towards the Digital Transformation of the industry.
The event was held with the participation of many companies in the sector including ABB, Cisco, Rockwell Automation, Engineering, Miraitek, Oracle, Schneider Electric, Siemens and VarGroup.
The Smart Manufacturing through practical cases has focused on data management, use of intelligent sensors, storage in the cloud up and data Analytics. Finally, space was given to more transversal topics such as Servitization, the Agile approach in project management and Cyber Security considered as a critical factor of development
Automate meets partners
A System Integrator such as Automate could not miss such an opportunity to meet historical partners and get in touch with emerging realities and especially share with customers the potential offered by the Industry 4.0 paradigm and how Automate can offer integrated solutions to meet the most complex needs.
We are aware that we must give our contribution to the industry in a transitional moment like the one we are witnessing. In this sense, the certifications and related collaborations with the technological leaders of the sector and the high rate of Exploration that we daily invest around the new technological trajectories only testify to the quality of our current and upcoming solutions.